Designation of the technical landfill site location
- Review of preliminary studies for the management of solid waste in the Nairobi city area;
- Definition of selection criteria for a site choice, and identification of 10 potential locations;
- Site selection.
- Dimensions of the technical landfill site;
- Technical studies for the designated site;
- Survey design: zonal boundaries, cells, sealing layer and capping system, drainage, collection and treatment zone for leachates and biogas, infrastructure, facilities, roads, and equipment;
- Budget estimates.
Detailed technical and structural design
- Detailed design for various operating processes: truck circulation, drainage, collection of biogas, and composting;
- Detailed design of works: excavations, roadworks, equipment list, electro mechanical installations;
- Drafting tender documents for the purchase of equipment and services;
- Drafting operating, maintenance, and occupational health and safety manuals.
Social and environmental studies
- Preliminary environmental audit and detailed study of the project’s environmental impact;
- Rag-picker management and rehousing plan.